Terms of Service
Will these terms ever change?
We constantly try to improve our Services, so we may update this Agreement as we offer new and improved Services. We may modify this Agreement at any time, but we will do our best to bring this to your attention by posting a notice on the Services or notifying you by email or by some other means. If you don't agree with the new terms, you may reject them but unfortunately you will no longer be able to use the Services. Your use of the Services in any way following notification by BodyPedia constitutes your acceptance of the terms and conditions as modified. We may suspend or discontinue any part of the Services, or we may introduce new features, impose limits on certain features or restrict access to parts or all of the Services at any time. We'll provide you notice when we make a material change to the Services that would adversely affect you.
You represent and warrant to BodyPedia that:
- you are at least 18 years old (or, if you are not at least 18 years old, you have your parent's permission to use the Services, and your parent has read and agrees to this Agreement on your behalf);
- all registration information you submit is accurate and truthful;
- you will maintain the accuracy of such information;
- if you're agreeing to this Agreement on behalf of an organization or entity, you represent and warrant that you are authorized to agree to this Agreement on the organization or entity's behalf and bind them to this Agreement (in which case, the references to "you" and "your" in these Terms, except for in this sentence, refer to that organization or entity). You also certify that you are legally permitted to use and access the Services and take full responsibility for the selection, use of, and access to the Services, including ensuring that you have permission to communicate with anyone you choose to interact with through the Services.
This Agreement is void where prohibited by law, and the right to access the Services is revoked in such jurisdictions.
Use by children
The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act ("COPPA") requires that online service providers notify parents of children in the United States and obtain their consent before they knowingly collect personally identifiable information online from children who are under 13. BodyPedia only collects personal information through the Services from a child under 13 where that student's school, district and/or teacher has agreed, via the terms described below, to obtain parental consent for that child to use the Services and disclose that personal information to BodyPedia. Except as expressly set forth below, we do not knowingly collect or solicit personally identifiable information from a child under 13. BodyPedia's mechanisms and policies for compliance with COPPA meet or exceed the requirements of the European Union's General Data Protection Regulation for the protection of the Personal Data of children.
- For children under 13 we may collect a child's name (first name and last initial), date of birth, email address or telephone number, and the child's parent's email address. We collect these in order to notify the parent that we may contact the child for the purpose of providing the Services for which the child's teacher, Organizer (as described below) or school administrator has signed up to use. Note that if the BodyPediaaccount of a child under 13 is inactive for at least twelve months (meaning, that account has not received a message through the BodyPedia Services in that time), BodyPedia's policy is to delete the personally-identifiable information associated with that child's account. While we delete the account in these situations, some of the child's data may persist in the files of BodyPedia's agents or service providers for some period of time until it is removed from their systems as well.
- We may collect personal information through the Services from a child under 13 but only in support of the learning environment. For BodyPediato collect this type of personal information, a student's school, district or teacher must agree to obtain parental consent for that child to use the Services. The student's school, district or teacher may disclose that personal information to us for a legitimate educational interest.
- If you are a school, district, or teacher, you represent and warrant that you are solely responsible for complying with COPPA, meaning you must obtain consent from all parents or guardians whose children under 13 will be accessing the Services. If you are a teacher, you represent and warrant that you are authorized by your school or district to use the Services. You also represent and warrant that you are entering into these Terms on behalf of your school or district. For more information on COPPA, please click here.
- If you are a school, district, or teacher providing consent on behalf of parents or guardians, you may be required to provide adequate school credentials and a valid school email address to verify your identity
If we learn we have collected personal information from a student under 13 other than pursuant to the above, or if we learn a student under 13 has provided us personal information beyond what we request from him or her, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that a student under 13 may have provided us personal information in violation of this paragraph, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fees and payment; Responsibility for usage charges
Access to and use of BodyPedia itself is free, but we do offer additional features that require fees. BodyPedia reserves the right to charge fees for certain features. We will notify you when we intend to charge for a service or feature. You will always have the choice whether to use those features. If you continue to use any service or feature after you have been notified of any applicable fees, that use constitutes your acceptance of any new or increased fees.
Note that, by using the Services, you may receive e-mail or text messages on your phone or mobile device, which may cause you to incur usage charges or other fees or costs in accordance with your wireless or data service plan. Any and all such charges, fees, or costs are your sole responsibility. You should consult with your wireless carrier to determine what rates, charges, fees, or costs may apply to your use of the Services
Registration and security
As a condition to using Services, you may be required to register with BodyPedia by selecting a password and providing your name and a valid email address. You will provide BodyPedia with accurate, complete, and updated registration information. You may not:
- select or use the name or email of another person with the intent to impersonate that person; or
- use a name subject to any rights of any person other than you without appropriate authorization.
BodyPedia reserves the right to refuse registration of or to cancel a BodyPedia account in its sole discretion. You will be responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your account and password. You may not transfer your account to anyone without express prior written consent of BodyPedia. Violation of any of the foregoing may result in immediate termination of your account, revocation of your ability to use the Services, and may subject you to state and federal penalties and other legal consequences. BodyPedia reserves the right, but will have no obligation, to investigate your use of the Services in order to determine whether a violation of the Agreement has occurred or to comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request.
You agree that you may only use the Services in accordance with BodyPedia's Guidelines.
All materials displayed or performed or available on the Services (including, but not limited to text, graphics, data, articles, photographs, images, illustrations, User Submissions (defined below), and so forth (all of the foregoing, the "Content")) are protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws. You may only use the Services for your own personal, non-commercial (meaning, you may not leverage the Services as a separate business) use and only in accordance with the terms of this Agreement and all laws that apply to you. BodyPedia is not responsible for your use of the Services in any way that breaks the law. You agree you will abide by all copyright notices, trademark rules, information, and restrictions contained in any Content accessed through the Services, and will not use, copy, modify, publish, distribute, upload, display, license, sell or otherwise exploit for any purposes whatsoever any Content, third party submissions or other proprietary rights not owned by you:
- without the express prior written consent of the respective owners, and
- in any way that violates anyone else's (including BodyPedia's) rights.
You will not link to the Services without BodyPedia's prior written consent, except in accordance with the terms of this Agreement.
Under no circumstances will BodyPedia be liable in any way for any Content, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any Content, or any loss or damage of any kind incurred in connection with your use of or exposure to any Content posted, emailed, accessed, transmitted, or otherwise made available via the Services.
Your restrictions and responsibilities
You warrant, represent and agree that you will not contribute any Content or otherwise use (or encourage anyone else to use) the Services in a manner that:
- infringes or violates the intellectual property rights or proprietary rights, rights of publicity or privacy, or other rights of any other third party;
- violates any law, statute, ordinance or regulation;
- is harmful, fraudulent, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortuous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, or otherwise objectionable as reasonably determined by BodyPedia;
- jeopardizes the security of your account in any way, such as allowing someone else access to your account or password;
- attempts, in any manner, to obtain the password, account, or other security information from any other user;
- violates the security of any computer network, or cracks any passwords or security encryption codes;
- runs Maillist, Listserv, any form of auto-responder or "spam" on the Services, or any processes that run or are activated while you are not logged into the Services, or that otherwise interfere with the proper working of the Services (including by placing an unreasonable load on the Services' infrastructure);
- "crawls," "scrapes," or "spiders" any page, data, or portion of or relating to the Services or Content (through use of manual or automated means);
- copies or stores any significant portion of the Content;
- decompiles, reverse engineers, or otherwise attempts to obtain the source code or underlying ideas or information of or relating to the Services (or the products of BodyPedia's third party service providers).
BodyPedia reserves the right to terminate access of any third party application or service to our published or unpublished APIs.
BodyPedia reserves the right (but does not have the obligation) to remove any Content from the Services at any time, for any reason (including, but not limited to, if we receive claims or allegations from individuals, companies or authorities relating to that Content or if BodyPedia is concerned that you may have breached the foregoing restrictions), or for no reason at all. You, not BodyPedia, remain solely responsible for all Content that you upload, post, email, transmit, or otherwise provide using, or in connection with, the Services, and you warrant that you possess all rights necessary to provide such Content to BodyPedia and to grant BodyPedia the rights to use such information as provided herein.
You will be responsible for obtaining and maintaining any equipment or ancillary services needed to connect to, access, or otherwise use the Services, including, without limitation, modems, hardware, software, and long distance or local telephone service. You will be responsible for ensuring that such equipment or ancillary services are compatible with the Services. You will be responsible for withholding, filing, and reporting all taxes, duties and other governmental assessments associated with your activity in connection with the Services.
Third party service providers
BodyPedia has no control over, and assumes no responsibility for, the content, accuracy, privacy policies, or practices of or opinions expressed in any Third Party Services. In addition, BodyPedia will not and cannot monitor, verify, censor or edit the content of any Third Party Services. By using the Services, you expressly relieve and hold harmless BodyPedia from any and all liability arising from your use of any Third Party Services.
Your interactions with organizations and/or individuals found on or through the Services, including payment and delivery of goods or services, and any other terms, conditions, warranties or representations associated with such dealings, are solely between you and such organizations and/or individuals. You should make whatever investigation you feel necessary or appropriate before proceeding with any online or offline transaction with any third parties. You agree that BodyPedia will not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage of any sort incurred as the result of any such dealings.
If there is a dispute between BodyPedia users, or between BodyPedia users and any third party, you understand and agree that BodyPedia is under no obligation to become involved. In the event that you have a dispute with one or more other users, you hereby release BodyPedia, its officers, employees, agents, and successors in rights from claims, demands, and damages (actual and consequential) of every kind or nature, known or unknown, suspected or unsuspected, disclosed or undisclosed, arising out of or in any way related to such disputes and/or our service. If you are a California resident, you will and hereby do waive California Civil Code Section 1542, which says: "A general release does not extend to claims which the creditor does not know or suspect to exist in his favor at the time of executing the release, which, if known by him must have materially affected his settlement with the debtor."
Warranty and disclaimer
BodyPedia has no special relationship with or fiduciary duty to you. You acknowledge that BodyPedia has no control over, and no duty to take any action regarding: which users gains access to the Services; what Content you access via the Services; what effects the Content may have on you; how you may interpret or use the Content; or what actions you may take as a result of having been exposed to the Content. You release BodyPedia from all liability for you having acquired or not acquired Content through the Services. The Services may contain, or direct you to websites or services containing, information that some people may find offensive or inappropriate. BodyPedia makes no representations concerning any content contained in or accessed through the Services, and BodyPedia will not be responsible or liable for the accuracy, copyright compliance, legality or decency of material contained in or accessed through the Services. BodyPedia makes no representations, warranties, or conditions regarding suggestions or recommendations of services or products (including Content provided by users) offered or purchased through the Services. Products and services purchased or offered (whether or not following such recommendations and suggestions) the Services are provided AS IS WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY OR CONDITION OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, FROM BodyPedia OR ANYONE ELSE. THE SERVICES, CONTENT, AND ANY SOFTWARE ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, MERCHANTABLE QUALITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, OR THAT USE OF THE SERVICES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON HOW LONG AN IMPLIED WARRANTY LASTS, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
You will indemnify, defend and hold BodyPedia, its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, and employees harmless (including, without limitation, from all damages, liabilities, settlements, costs and attorneys' fees) from any claim or demand made by any third party due to or arising out of your access to or use of the Services, your violation of this Agreement, or the infringement by you or any third party using your account of any intellectual property or other right of any person or entity.
Limitation of liability
TO THE FULLEST EXTENT ALLOWED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL BodyPedia OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR ITS SERVICE PROVIDERS, OR THEIR RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, OR AGENTS BE LIABLE WITH RESPECT TO THE SERVICES OR THE SUBJECT MATTER OF THIS AGREEMENT UNDER ANY CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE, TORT, STRICT LIABILITY OR OTHER LEGAL OR EQUITABLE THEORY:
- FOR ANY AMOUNT IN THE AGGREGATE IN EXCESS OF THE GREATER OF $100 OR THE FEES PAID BY YOU TO BodyPediaHEREUNDER DURING THE 12-MONTH PERIOD PRECEDING THE APPLICABLE CLAIM;
- FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER;
- FOR DATA LOSS OR COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; OR
- FOR ANY MATTER BEYOND BodyPedia'S REASONABLE CONTROL.
SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS AND EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
This Agreement will remain in full force and effect while you use the Services. You may terminate your use of the Services or your account at any time by deleting your account in your account settings tab or by contacting us. Note, if you become a Participant through an Organization, and you request that BodyPedia delete your account, BodyPedia may notify the Organization (and the Organizers of the classes or groups you are in of your deletion request. BodyPedia may disable or terminate your access to the Services or your account at any time, for any reason (for your violation of any term of this Agreement or without cause), and without warning or notice, which may result in the forfeiture of all information associated with your account. Upon termination of your account, your right to use the Services and any Content will immediately cease; however, BodyPedia may retain messaging data or other data and information pursuant to this Agreement, as necessary for auditing purposes, and as required by law. Computer deletion is not an instantaneous process. If you choose to terminate your account, all data will be rendered unavailable to you immediately and your data will be deleted over time as is true of all computer deletion everywhere. Remember that communications with others in which you participated will remain available to those other users. All provisions of this Agreement which, by their nature, should survive termination, will survive termination, including, without limitation, ownership provisions, warranty disclaimers, and limitations of liability.